Monday, July 19, 2010

visiting John's host family (high school AFS program) in Tochigi-shi

In 1981, I first visited Japan on a summer AFS exchange program - living with the Yasuhei and Yoshii Yamaguchi family in Tochigi-shi for four months.  I attended high school (and received my only failing grade in my entire academic career on the English exam) and learned a lot about Japanese culture, and some language skills too.  The parents ran an architecture firm - though they are now retired.  They have three children - and two of them and their wives were there for our visit.  The elder brother Ichiro and his wife Taki have two sons - Masazumi and Takeaki.  Hirotake and his wife Satako were also there, but youngest sibling Eizaburo was not able to make it.  The house has changed, but we stayed in my room from 29 years ago, and it is the same.  We wandered Tochigi, which has become a bit of a tourist destination now - and also stopped by my old high school - Tochitaka.  I don't recognize the guy in the picture my host mother is holding at the very end.
























No comments:

Post a Comment